1886




I have never been much of a drinker. It's probably because of my stature and genetic predisposition to turn beet red when I drink.  However, a small delicious cocktail is something I enjoy on a weekly basis.  My college boyfriend had a habit of ordering me Sprite "on the rocks" with a twist of lime so that I could pretend I was having a cocktail; I was only eighteen.  Now, as a woman of age, my husband makes me real cocktails on the weekends, along with our little girls.  They get the pretty, non-alcoholic version and I get the pretty, alcoholic version. One of Sophie's drawings at four was of a star sitting at the bar drinking a martini, with olives!  She calls it Star Bar.

There's a stellar new bar in Pasadena that is becoming a favorite. It's attached to the Raymond Restaurant, up a brick walkway behind the restaurant's valet station and past the covered pergola.  It feels like a secret assignation, a special place for those in the know.  The bar is called 1886, probably because it's modeled on the speakeasy trend that's swept the country in the last few years. 1886 is an intimate room, a few dark wooden tables and the bar taking up the panorama with its dizzying array of artisanal liquors. My friends and I have been coming here on Sunday nights and we think it's probably the best evening to enjoy the seriously delicious concoctions. It's quiet and convivial on Sunday night.  The clientele is a mixed company of hipsters, oldsters, daters, and near-copulating couples (we always get one of those every time we go).  The attentive and very affable bartenders are Laura and Brady.  She makes beautiful garnishes and he regales us about the world of cocktails. They both make incredible drinks.  My favorite to date is the Huntington Special.  It's a pink frothy concoction with at least ten ingredients, mainly pineapple juice and a a top shelf liqueur called Creme Yvette, made from violet petals, vanilla, and other spices.  It's mildly sweet, tart, and complex.  I love, love it, wanna marry it! 
 
The very best part about 1886 is that it is in Pasadena and they stay open til midnight.  Get yourself there before you turn into a pumpkin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment