Dream Job

I knew that going back to a corporate job after having my baby was the equivalent of a call girl going back to work after meeting Mr. Right. Which explains how I felt about my job when I quit in the first place. The perks were amazing and my expense account was more than most people’s salary, but I was bored and uninspired most of the time. I didn’t have much time to contemplate my next career move when friends came up with ideas of their own. Three months after giving birth to my first baby, a friend hired me to do flowers for her brother’s wedding. While I was installing the flowers at the wedding venue, someone came by and hired me for another event. I have been pretty fortunate, jobs have come steadily my way because of friends and referrals.

Three years ago I received a call from Joe Pytka Productions requesting a resume and portfolio for flowers. A friend had recommended me as a floral designer for Bastide Restaurant which Joe Pytka owns. At the time Bastide was ranked one of the most expensive and famous restaurants in the US. I think the acclaim stems from Joe Pytka’s famously mercurial temper as much as his chefs’ talents. By some stroke of good luck, I was hired on the spot. Keep in mind that Pytka had fired an immensely talented chef, a few floral designers, not to mention countless assistants in the space of a year. I was told by the manager that Joe effing hates yellow callas, don't ever put effing yellow flowers in his restaurant or he'll fire you! I came to work with trepidations but genuine inspiration everyday. The restaurant was a beautiful space designed by the iconicAndree Putman . It was a dream job in every aspect. I got to wake up early and go to the Flower Mart and spend with abandon, choosing only the best and most beautiful flowers. Once the arrangements were done, I treated myself to freshly brewed Italian coffee in the courtyard patio and reflect on my great luck. Some days my cup would overflow with good fortune when the chef prepared staff lunches or new dishes and I got to sample the meals. It was bliss. .....And by the way, this is what the chef looks like! Food for all my senses.


Like all good things, my tenure at Bastide came to an end when Joe Pytka decided to close the restaurant to revamp his menu and decor. Bastide reopened after two years with a brand new staff and format. It was the best five months of my career!

Bastide- LA Times

0 comments:

Post a Comment